Emmaus United Church of Christ, an Open and Affirming Congregation, is seeking an energetic, passionate Christian to help organize, administer and grow our children’s Sunday School, youth program, adult faith formation, and mission ministry.
With an average worship around 70 adults and 30-40 children, we expect our fall Sunday school to have 30 to 45 children in attendance each week. As our Sunday morning worship numbers are growing, so is the participation in our adult and youth programming.
This summer, our middle and high school youth are participating in a week long mission trip and this fall we plan to host the first annual all church weekend retreat. Our adult faith formation leaders are excited to expand our adult education programming. Committed to caring for those in need, along with many on-going mission activities, Emmaus hosts an annual Hunger Action Weekend filled with intergenerational activities and teaching moments. Monthly, we gather for intergenerational worship and are exploring new creative ideas to engage all ages in the worship of our Creator.
CLASSIFICATION Salaried Part-time based on Central Atlantic Conference Guidelines
SCHEDULE 20 Hours per week including special events/Youth Activities (mutually agreed dates)
REPORT Senior Minister
Goals of the position
Faith formation seeks to provide Christian educational and spiritual growth experiences to children and adults.
The Minister of Faith Formation and Mission will work closely with the Leader of Faith Formation and the Senior Minister to set priorities and plan the faith formation and mission programs. They will also recruit and support volunteer teachers and assistants, and engage family members in the ministry of educating their children.
The Minister for Faith Formation and Mission will work with key lay leaders to vision and execute our mission programs, engaging all ages in deepening their understanding of the church’s call to care for “ the least of these.”
Faith formation and mission ministries are an integral part of our church identity.
- Faith Formation
- Implement a comprehensive program of faith formation, including age-appropriate opportunities for all.
- Become familiar with our curriculum, Seasons of the Spirit, in order to answer questions and give guidance and suggestions to our teachers .
- Recruit, train, schedule, equip and support volunteers to lead the Sunday school ministry.
- Oversee training and supervision of Nursery staff.
- Work with Youth Group volunteer teachers to plan and implement programs for youth study, fellowship, and confirmation.
- Work closely with Senior Minister and the Leader of Faith Formation to develop long-range goals and short-term objectives for ongoing, age appropriate faith formation programming.
- Provide theological support and guidance to Faith Formation Leaders and teach Adult Education 6-12 times annually.
- Provide a children’s program that accompanies an adult program 4-6 times a year.
- Coordinate occasional nursery and childcare events for meetings or adult programing.
- Working with Senior Minister, vision and develop monthly intergenerational worship services, and coordinate the involvement of youth in worship services.
- Participate in preaching of the Word 6-8 times a year.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be present at Sunday morning worship and Sunday school to guide families, children, and church members. Gather information from visiting families about children’s names, ages, and possible allergies, among other information that may be useful in carrying out faith formation activities.
- Ensure that registration forms and attendance records are accurate and up-to-date, maintained in the church office and available to the Church Administrator and Senior Minister.
- Order, distribute, and guide the effective use of the curriculum materials, equipment, and supplies.
- Provide regular communication to the congregation through weekly messages via Constant Contact email sent by the Church Administer.
- Work with the Senior Minister and lay leadership to implement Emmaus’ vision for mission services across all ages.
- Represent the Senior Minister and congregation at community functions when necessary.
- Master of Divinity or similar degree.
- Experience in leading Christian Education activities, including recruiting, training and supporting volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience leading project based mission activities.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with all age groups.
- Some experience and willingness to preach the Word.
- Ability to work successfully as part of a Ministry team with other staff and lay volunteers.
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume and cover letter including details of your interest and information about your theology and church experience to Carol Roach firstname.lastname@example.org.